Blue Knot Speaker Series
March 17 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
The Texas Electricity System: A model for Sustainability
Mark Kapner, Former Senior Strategy Engineer at Austin Energy
6:45 – 7 PM Mingling + Networking
7 – 8 PM Presentation + Q&A
The electric industry in Texas has been transforming itself, replacing coal-fired power plants with wind and solar farms, at a faster pace than the rest of the country. This trend has been accomplished while keeping wholesale electric costs low and maintaining very high reliability.
This session will cover:
– How is electricity produced in Texas, now and in the near future?
– Why are renewable generation projects advancing so rapidly in Texas?
– What are some of the challenges faced by planners to maintain high reliability while integrating non-dispatchable sources that depend on wind and sun?
– How do wind and solar technologies work?
– What went wrong during the mid-February deep freeze, why, and how to prevent it from happening again?
– And more!