The primary objective of the American Red Cross Preschool Aquatic Program is to promote the developmentally appropriate learning of fundamental water safety and aquatic skills by young children. Each session is 30 minutes. 3:1 Ratio. Minimum of 2 participants required.
Starfish One: The objective of this American Red Cross class is to help students feel comfortable in the water and to enjoy the water safely. Students will learn elementary aquatic skills which students will build on as they progress through the levels developing positive attitudes and safe practices in, on, and around the water.
- Enter/Exit the pool safely
- Front Glide with support
- Travel 5 yards
- Face in Water and Blow bubbles for 3 seconds
- Back Float with support
- Water Safety topic
Starfish Two: The objective of this American Red Cross class is to further develop basic aquatic skills. This course marks the beginning of independent aquatic locomotion skills. Students learn to float with assistance and to recover to a vertical position as well as exploring simultaneous and alternating arm and leg actions on the front and back.
- Front & Back Glide for 2 body lengths
- Back Float for 5 seconds
- Face underwater and blow bubbles for 5 seconds
- Bob 5 times
- Combined arm & leg actions on front & back for 3 body lengths independently
- Water Safety topics
Starfish Three: The objective of this American Red Cross class is to build on the skills learned in previous levels by providing additional guided practice. Students will be performing skills independently while learning to coordinate the front & back crawl as well as being introduced to treading water.
- Bobbing 10 times independently
- Treading water independently for 15 seconds
- Front & Back Floating for 15 seconds independently
- Changing direction of travel while swimming on front & back
- Combined arm and leg actions on front & back for 5 body lengths
- Water safety topics
Sundays meet once a week for 3 or 4 weeks (depending on month).
May & September:
• Monday & Wednesday meets twice a week for one month (8 classes per session).
• Tuesday & Thursday meets twice a week for one month (8 classes per session).
June - August:
• Monday-Thursday meets four times a week for two weeks (8 classes per session).
SUMMER SCHEDULE: To register, click on the day(s) of the week below.