A New Day for the J
The Shalom Austin Generations Campaign began building a brighter future for Austin’s Jewish Community Sunday, Oct. 25, 2020 at a historic groundbreaking ceremony.
Aquatics and Tennis Near Completion
September 2, 2021
As we approach the High Holy Days and welcome the new year with Rosh Hashanah beginning Monday evening, we also celebrate the progress of the Generations project. We are thrilled to share that the Rochelle and Stanley Ferdman Family Aquatic Center and Hurt Family Tennis Center construction is on schedule and set to open later this fall to JCC members! Stay tuned for details and the opening date!
Other parts of the Generations project are also underway.
- Grading work and hydromulch around the Hurt Family Tennis Center is complete.
- Tiling continues for the lanes of the new Sandy and Lisa Gottesman Swimming Pool.
- The large waterslides and children’s play features were installed as part of the Rochelle and Stanley Ferdman Family Aquatic Center. The view from the top of the slide is incredible!
- Coping and tile continues on the children’s activity pool.
- Mechanical equipment is starting to be set in the mechanical room.
- The poolside snack bar stone exterior has started.
- Building slab concrete has been filled as the footprint for the new main building; steel is on its way.
- Interior framing, mechanical, and electrical work continue for the new locker rooms, family changing, childcare and nursing mother’s rooms, and aquatics and tennis offices.
- The former administrative building has been demoed where construction will begin on the new home of the Krasoff Jewish Family Service Center.
We are Making Waves at the New Rochelle and Stanley Ferdman Family Aquatic Center!
July 29, 2021
Our new water slides and family-friendly activity pool with spray features, dumping buckets, water tables, and slides have been installed!
Get ready for treats by the pool! The walls of our poolside snack bar are going up.
We can’t wait to welcome you and your families to enjoy all the new attractions.
Summertime Construction Brings Progress on Aquatics and Tennis: Set to Open Early Fall
July 15, 2021
Summer is here, and much work is continuing on our facilities. In light of recent rain and supply chain delays, we are starting to see our new outdoor spaces take shape.
- Water slide piers have been poured.
- Concrete foundation for the poolside snackbar, lifeguard area, and pool mechanical building has been poured.
- Interior walls of the pool are finished.
- Sand and gravel have been spread for the foundation of the new main JCC building.
- Lighting for the tennis center has been installed.
- New framing of the former fitness center building is 80% complete.
- Construction preparation on the new Krasoff Jewish Family Service Center will start next month!
New Pool and Tennis Courts Starting to Take Shape
May 24, 2021
Summer is approaching, and exciting things are happening. After starting construction only a few months ago, we are proud to show the incredible progress on our new facilities that this community has helped us achieve. Despite some minor supply chain delays, we continue to make strides toward completing the first phase of construction and opening the new Rochelle & Stanley Ferdman Family Aquatic Center and the Hurt Family Tennis Center.
- Tennis court concrete pads have been poured.
- Form work and rebar is installed for the pools.
- Piers for the water slides and aquatics building are installed.
- We received permits for Phase 2 of construction.
- Building pad site work and concrete piers are installed as the footprint for our new main building.
- Underground utilities and form work is in progress.
Exciting plans are underway for the new Krasoff Jewish Family Service Center. Keep an eye out for more information in our next progress update.
New Building Construction Begins, and Aquatics Center, Tennis Courts and Locker Rooms Moving Ahead
March 22, 2021
Spring is here and Passover is around the corner and we are excited to report on the progress we are making on our new facilities.
- Phase 1 is progressing well. All demolition has been completed and the new pools are being formed for the Rochelle & Stanley Ferdman Family Aquatic Center.
- The building pad has been installed for the Hurt Family Tennis Center.
- Locker rooms have been demoed and the designs for the new ones have been finalized.
- For phase 2 of construction, all building permits have been approved.
- The pad for the new building is complete and we have started drilling piers.
New Aquatics Center, Tennis Center, Locker Rooms Underway
January 29, 2021
We are starting 2021 with incredible progress on our new facilities. With each day, we take steps forward toward building the campus of our dreams that this community has helped us achieve!
- Phase 1 design is complete, permits have been issued, and construction is in progress.
- We received our site development permit.
- For phase 2 of construction, 75% of construction documents have been issued and the building permit is under review.
- The pool mechanical building, both pools, playgrounds, Welcome Desk and locker rooms are completely demoed.
- The pool deck concrete has been removed making way for major upgrades with the new Rochelle & Stanley Ferdman Family Aquatic Center.
- The earthwork for the new Hurt Family Tennis Center has begun!
December 2020 Construction Update
December 29, 2020
Have you seen the hard hats and neon vests when you are working out? That’s right – Generations is in full swing! Each month, Construction Janet will share a special construction peak in the Fitness Insider. Here are photos of our former Welcome Desk and pool.
Construction Begins on the Rochelle & Stanley Ferdman Family Aquatic Center
November 2, 2020
As a necessary step to begin construction on our exciting new Rochelle & Stanley Ferdman Family Aquatic Center, we will close the pool beginning Monday, November 2, 2020 until summer 2021. The fitness center and Gan Yaniv Nature Trail will remain open during this time, and we hope to see you there!
By next summer, young families will be playing in our new activities pool with spray features, dumping buckets, water tables and slides. Older children and adventurous adults will enjoy two additional large slides. The new main pool will have a much larger shallow area and the ability to rotate lap swimming directions. A new snack bar stocked with food from local vendors will have something for everyone so families and friends can spend the day at the pool.
New Entrance Due to Construction
November 2, 2020
During construction, beginning November 2, we will have a new entrance for the fitness center through the main JCC doors by the flag poles. As indicated on the map below, the new entrance will have two separate walkways to ensure adult JCC members and children enter safely and keep socially distant from other members and children who will be sharing the walkway. Please follow the signs and enter on the left side of the walkway straight into the main JCC doors. The right side is reserved for youth program access.
October 25, 2020
The Shalom Austin Generations Campaign groundbreaking ceremony on Sunday, Oct. 25, 2020 honored the life and legacy of Judy Waxman, Generations Campaign co-chair. A pillar of the Jewish and Greater Austin community, Waxman was named Woman of Valor in 2015. New designs were revealed.
Featured speakers and remarks included:
- Rabbi Daniel A. Septimus, Shalom Austin CEO
- Shalom Austin Board Chair Abby Rapoport
- Keith Zimmerman, Generations co-chair
- Harriett Kirsh Pozen, Former Generations Campaign director
- Janet S. Elam, Shalom Austin COO
- Austin Mayor Steve Adler
- District 10 Council Member Alison Alter
ECP Refresh Underway
August 1, 2020
We have been hard at work this summer making progress toward building the campus of our dreams and having it ready by the time we are able to safely convene once again. The Generations project has commenced, and we have started with refreshing our Early Childhood Program preschool, the Clifford Zeifman Family Early Childhood Center, to create a new modern and safe space for our children to learn and grow. The funds raised from your generous contributions to the Generations Campaign have been designated for refreshing and building our future facilities, and we are excited that this project is underway. Learn more about the ECP Refresh in The Jewish Outlook.