A New Day for the J
The Shalom Austin Generations Campaign began building a brighter future for Austin’s Jewish Community Sunday, Oct. 25, 2020 at a historic groundbreaking ceremony.
New Building Construction Begins, and Aquatics Center, Tennis Courts and Locker Rooms Moving Ahead
March 22, 2021
Spring is here and Passover is around the corner and we are excited to report on the progress we are making on our new facilities.
- Phase 1 is progressing well. All demolition has been completed and the new pools are being formed for the Rochelle & Stanley Ferdman Family Aquatic Center.
- The building pad has been installed for the Hurt Family Tennis Center.
- Locker rooms have been demoed and the designs for the new ones have been finalized.
- For phase 2 of construction, all building permits have been approved.
- The pad for the new building is complete and we have started drilling piers.
New Aquatics Center, Tennis Center, Locker Rooms Underway
January 29, 2021
We are starting 2021 with incredible progress on our new facilities. With each day, we take steps forward toward building the campus of our dreams that this community has helped us achieve!
- Phase 1 design is complete, permits have been issued, and construction is in progress.
- We received our site development permit.
- For phase 2 of construction, 75% of construction documents have been issued and the building permit is under review.
- The pool mechanical building, both pools, playgrounds, Welcome Desk and locker rooms are completely demoed.
- The pool deck concrete has been removed making way for major upgrades with the new Rochelle & Stanley Ferdman Family Aquatic Center.
- The earthwork for the new Hurt Family Tennis Center has begun!
December 2020 Construction Update
December 29, 2020
Have you seen the hard hats and neon vests when you are working out? That’s right – Generations is in full swing! Each month, Construction Janet will share a special construction peak in the Fitness Insider. Here are photos of our former Welcome Desk and pool.
Construction Begins on the Rochelle & Stanley Ferdman Family Aquatic Center
November 2, 2020
As a necessary step to begin construction on our exciting new Rochelle & Stanley Ferdman Family Aquatic Center, we will close the pool beginning Monday, November 2, 2020 until summer 2021. The fitness center and Gan Yaniv Nature Trail will remain open during this time, and we hope to see you there!
By next summer, young families will be playing in our new activities pool with spray features, dumping buckets, water tables and slides. Older children and adventurous adults will enjoy two additional large slides. The new main pool will have a much larger shallow area and the ability to rotate lap swimming directions. A new snack bar stocked with food from local vendors will have something for everyone so families and friends can spend the day at the pool.
New Entrance Due to Construction
November 2, 2020
During construction, beginning November 2, we will have a new entrance for the fitness center through the main JCC doors by the flag poles. As indicated on the map below, the new entrance will have two separate walkways to ensure adult JCC members and children enter safely and keep socially distant from other members and children who will be sharing the walkway. Please follow the signs and enter on the left side of the walkway straight into the main JCC doors. The right side is reserved for youth program access.
October 25, 2020
The Shalom Austin Generations Campaign groundbreaking ceremony on Sunday, Oct. 25, 2020 honored the life and legacy of Judy Waxman, Generations Campaign co-chair. A pillar of the Jewish and Greater Austin community, Waxman was named Woman of Valor in 2015. New designs were revealed.
Featured speakers and remarks included:
- Rabbi Daniel A. Septimus, Shalom Austin CEO
- Shalom Austin Board Chair Abby Rapoport
- Keith Zimmerman, Generations co-chair
- Harriett Kirsh Pozen, Former Generations Campaign director
- Janet S. Elam, Shalom Austin COO
- Austin Mayor Steve Adler
- District 10 Council Member Alison Alter
ECP Refresh Underway
August 1, 2020
We have been hard at work this summer making progress toward building the campus of our dreams and having it ready by the time we are able to safely convene once again. The Generations project has commenced, and we have started with refreshing our Early Childhood Program preschool, the Clifford Zeifman Family Early Childhood Center, to create a new modern and safe space for our children to learn and grow. The funds raised from your generous contributions to the Generations Campaign have been designated for refreshing and building our future facilities, and we are excited that this project is underway. Learn more about the ECP Refresh in The Jewish Outlook.